Today, I want to discuss the importance of keeping it simple with natural hair. In transitioning, you can get overwhelmed with so many products, recipes for conditioners, the many blogs that say do this or don't do that, and so on. My advice is to keep it simple with your hair routine and you will quickly see results. All you have to do is find the right products that work for your hair and once you've figured that out, you are good to go. If you are seeing great results with your hair, I would continue to keep things as is. I'm not saying you're not allowed to try new products, but don't get so caught up in buying hair products that you become a product junkie! I only use 6 products for my hair and that's it. Below, are the products that my daughter and I use.
- Shea Moisture Shampoo- Shampoos can be a little tricky, but they got it right with this one. I love the way my hair feels with this brand of shampoo. You can find these products in your local Target and Walgreens!
- Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner- This is another conditioner that has never failed. It's thick and creamy and provides a good slip. I love detangling my hair with this conditioner. I have thought about parting ways, but my hair loves it!!! You can find Herbal Essence almost anywhere!
- Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose- I love to use this conditioner for my deep treatment. There are some pretty good deep treatment conditioners out there, but you can't go wrong with this one. Your hair will feel amazing especially when you mix it with a natural oil. Aubrey Organics is located in your local whole food store or you can order on Amazon.
- Generic Paul Mitchell The Conditioner- This brand works similar to the Paul Mitchell The Conditoner. It's thick and creamy and the number one ingredient is water, which is very important! The Generic brand will only be found in Sally's.
- Natural oils- Everyone shoud incorporate natural oils as part of their hair regimen. It's very important to add these oils to your hair. I like to use the castor oil for my deep treatment and also a very small amount for my braid out. It helps to seal in the moisture and also promotes hair growth. Natural oils are located in your local whole food store.
- Curls Hair paste- My daughter and I use this brand to smooth out our edges. I like using this brand better than gels because it doesn't flake up. For some reason, my hair does not like gel. Curls is usually found in your local Target, but you can also purchase from Sally's.
So, there you have it. Keep it simple and remember the important thing to do is have low manipulation to the hair, continue to moisturize, and always give yourself a deep treatment on wash days.