As a wife and mom, the responsibility of grocery shopping and meal planning tends to fall on us. In the beginning of my marriage, I have to be honest and say that this was my least favorite thing to do as a wife. I didn't know how to really cook in the beginning, so going to the grocery store wasn't priority on my list. After I had my son, I realized that things had to change and I wanted to make sure my family was eating a well balanced meal. Now fast forward to now and who would have thought that meal planning and groceries are all I think about now! Yeah, I know that's a little weird, but I love planning meals and going to different stores that has the best deals. It's amazing the amount of produce you can get when there is a deal going on. With that being said, I want to share my routine and tips to get you started! Your family will love you for it and you will feel accomplished!!!
- Pick your grocery shopping day- We set wash days for our hair, so why not set a day for the grocery store. My day is Friday. I love to get my groceries before the weekend begins. Even my children know that Friday is the day! Kids love to have a routine, but that's another post for another time! :)
- Check your sale ads (Usually on Wednesday)- Wednesdays are the days where I check the sale ads from Publix, Aldi's, Kroger, and Sprouts. This will determine where I get different food items. I like to start planning my meals and writing my grocery list on this day, which is also the day where I like to walk through around the home to what is needed.
- Create meals with what you have first- I am still trying to get better with this! You can save so much money with what you have in the home. This will expand your creativity and also lower that grocery bill. You will be amazed at what you can make!
- Organize your grocery list- I like to organize my list by store and I also like to make a breakfast, snack, lunch, and dinner list to make sure that everything is covered.
- Save time by ordering your groceries online- I am so thankful that my favorite store which is Kroger has allowed their customers to also shop online. It's similar to Walmart, but there is a fee for using the service. I really don't mind the fee when it comes to my time and I also love the fact that you can order the groceries on the same day. This has also allowed me to make sure I stay within budget. I stick to my list and it gives me the total beforehand, so if I notice I'm close to overspending, I can remove items.
So, there you have it. If you start with this routine, I promise this will be a breeze and maybe fun to do! If you don't know what to cook, check out some recipes that are catered to what you already have in your pantry. Happy Grocery Shopping! We can do this!!!